ETX Capital Review and Tutorial 2020
United States not accepted.
Go to the Brokers List for alternatives
|ETX Capital Facts & Figures|
ETX Capital are a London based, FCA regulated broker offering tight spreads across a wide range of markets. They offer professional client services to Pro clients. ETX are offering a FREE trading course to new clients, and free guaranteed stops on the TraderPro platform.
|Instruments||CFD, Forex, Crypto, Stocks, Spreadbetting|
|Mobile Apps||iOS and Android|
|FTSE Spread||1 pt|
|Oil Spread||0.06 pips|
|Stocks Spread||From 0.5%|
Trade 5 cryptocurrencies, and BTC against USD, GBP or EUR. Margin is tiered from 50%
|Spread||BTC Market Spread + 10, ETH Market spread + 8|
|Coins||BCH, BTC, ETH, LTC, XRP|
ETX Capital is a reputable online trading brokerage with head offices in London. With decades of experience and a choice of trading platforms, the broker offers trading in Forex, CFDs and Spread Betting. This review of ETX Capital will examine all aspects of their offering, including trading fees, demo accounts and mobile apps, before finishing with a final verdict.
ETX also now offer a full professional clients service which is making them the ‘go to’ broker for professional clients since the ESMA regulatory changes.
ETX Capital Trading Platforms
Customers can choose between three trading platforms:
ETX Trader Pro
As the name suggests, this platform is geared towards experienced traders, or ‘pro’ accounts. As a result, you get a range of advanced features and comprehensive access to the financial markets.
In particular, TraderPro reviews highlight the sophisticated charting tools. This allows you to choose and view numerous charts in different time frames simultaneously. This means you could view Ichimoku, Heikin-Ashi and line charts all at once.
On top of that, once you have your client login details, you get straightforward access to historical data, volume indicators, guaranteed stops and more. In addition, the platform comes with a news feed so you don’t have to turn to the likes of Bloomberg to stay in the know.
Overall, opinions of ETX Capital’s TraderPro platform are positive. In fact, many believe it is up there in the rankings with the likes of the MetaTrader 4 and 5 platforms.
The Pro platform includes the professional client service which had made ETX a popular choice among full time traders.
The TraderPro platform also delivers free guaranteed stop losses. This a real bonus for traders who like to use stops to manage risk. The guaranteed stop ensure your trades are closed if the asset hits that price, regardless of the amount of price volatility.
ETX MetaTrader 4
There is also a free MT4 download. This is ideal for traders who are already familiar with the system and would prefer not to change. This industry standard promises a range of features and superb security. It can be used for trading everything from Bitcoin and oil to the FTSE 100 and Swiss francs.
The MT4 free download will work for hedging, scalping techniques and plenty of other strategies. Users also have the added bonus that there is a wealth of educational resources available to help them get the most out of the platform.
Some superior rivals are out there though:
Popular Alternatives To ETX Captial
ETX Capital recently withdrew their binary options offering in the face of the changes suggested by the European regulator – ESMA. These prohibited the supply of binary options to retail investors in Europe. As a responsible broker, ETX have removed the product to all traders.
Minimum Initial Deposit
The minimum initial deposit is £100. This is relatively low for the industry, making the brokerage attractive to beginners with limited initial capital.
Note it is because ETX Capital is a market maker that entry requirements and minimum bet sizes are lower than traditional ECN brokers.
ETX do motivate traders to make a larger initial deposit by offering a free trading course to traders who deposit $1000 (or equivalent).
Spreads & Commissions
ETX Capital spreads are competitive. Forex spreads start from just 0.6 pips for popular currency pairs, such as the EUR/USD. Spreads for CFDs start from 0.5 pips, while minimum equity spreads are 0.08%. For those wishing to trade in commodities, spreads start at just 0.025 points. Finally, for indices, you can find spreads of just 1 pip.
Trading on leverage can be an effective way to capitalise on market opportunities. For FX trading, leverage extends to 1:30. For commodities, leverage is 1:10, while for equities and indices leverages span from 1:5 to 1:10.
It’s also worth highlighting that trading on margin does come with risks. If you’re not careful, a margin call could promptly require a payment in excess of your initial deposit.
Note margin requirements vary with fluctuations in exchange rates. Also, you may be able to change your personal leverage limits by contacting ETX Capital, or registering as a ‘professional’. Regulatory guidelines cap leverage, but only apply to retail investors, not professionals. Leverage for professional accounts can reach 1:300.
Other Trading Fees
There are certain fees to be aware of before you sign up for an account with ETX Capital. For example, there are overnight rollover fees and charges, which will depend on your position size and instrument. See the official website for a break down of rolling daily charges.
In addition, there is a monthly dormant account charge if you have not made any trades in over 365 days. But if you do decide to return to the platform, ETX Capital will refund you the last three months of inactivity fees.
Deals & Promotions
Recent regulatory changes have meant that ETX Capital have withdrawn many of their deposit bonus offers. Incentives now focus on ‘adding value’ for traders, so for example a deposit of any size will secure a free trading course and similar perks. This previously required a $1000 deposit, so is a useful offer to take advantage of. Visit the ETX Education pages to see the current list of free etx webinars.
An increasing number of individuals intraday trade directly from their mobile devices. So, is ETX Capital good in terms of mobile trading apps? Customer reviews would suggest yes. Mobile trading apps are available with all 3 trading platforms for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
The app interface is sleek and straightforward to navigate. You get access to 5000 markets and you can enter and exit positions using price alerts, real-time charts, one-touch trading and a range of custom indicators.
In fact, results from user reviews point to the binary mobile app as among the best in the industry. For example, bringing up an energy stock quote and entering a position takes but a few seconds. Furthermore, mobile apps are kept secure with encryption and fast touch ID log-in. Finally, you can manage risk with trailing stop losses and limits.
Overall then, if you conduct research or trade from your mobile device, ETX Capital could certainly meet your mobile app needs.
ETX Methods of Payment
Once you sign up for an account, you will need to add funds before you can start trading. Fortunately, there are a number of options for depositing and withdrawing funds, including:
- Bank Wire Transfer
- Credit & Debit Cards
- China UnionPay
You can view your current account value from within your account area and then decide whether you want to withdraw some of your capital.
Reviews for withdrawing funds are positive for three reasons:
- You can use any of the same methods used for funding your account.
- There is no minimum withdrawal. Having said that, you will incur a fee if you withdraw less than £100 of your revenue.
- Withdrawal times are fast. The quickest method is wire transfer which takes between 2 to 3 business days. All alternative methods will take between 3 to 5 working days.
Contact customer support if you have any withdrawal problems.
ETX Capital Accounts
ETX Capital offer a couple of account types. The standard live trading account, offers traders of all experience levels the same levels of features and tools, as long as they can make the £100 initial minimum deposit. Clients signing up as ‘Pro’ clients will also enjoy the professional client service which offers larger leverage and access to investment types not available to retail traders.
To qualify as a professional trader, ETX require traders meet 2 of the following three criteria:
- Over €500k of liquid assets excluding your house of residence if you own it.
- Relevant experience in financial services.
- Traded at least 10 times in each of the last 4 quarters
There are also some perks for larger deposits, such as free trading courses and similar offers and deals.
Note ETX Capital does not offer a swap-free account for Islamic traders.
Although there is just a single live trading account, there is also a free demo account. You can get an MT4 demo account. Alternatively, you can opt for an ETX TraderPro account. Once you have your demo login details, you can then trade stocks on the Dax 30, for example, with virtual cash.
Practice accounts are a fantastic opportunity to build confidence and develop strategies. Then when you have gained experience, you can close your forex demo account from within your account area and upgrade to real-time trading.
A Brief History
Before taking a look at customer trading reviews, here is a brief overview of the company: ETX Capital is owned and managed by Monecor (London) Limited. In 2007, the group was acquired through a joint venture from the private equity investment firm JRG Group and the BXR Group.
But although the parent company’s history dates back to 1965, ETX Capital only came to life in 2002 and is relatively unknown. This is because the owner and board of directors previously focused their attention on institutional traders and high net worth individuals.
However, the partners and directors have seen considerable success since opening their doors to average traders. Firstly, they have become an FCA regulated FX broker. The broker went online in 2014 and hit the news with the acquisition of the Alpari network in 2015.
The ETX Capital Group were quick to facilitate a smooth transition for existing Alpari customers with a dedicated helpline and the installation of MetaTrader 4 (MT4) servers. As a result, user ratings went up along with share price and turnover.
Finally, for those observers wondering what the meaning behind the ETX acronym is:
- Electronic Trading
- Telephone Trading
- Execution Services
Many reviews suggest the best part of the ETX Capital offering is the range of additional resources. These include:
- Sentiment Mapper – Spread betting and FX clients can see how other ETX Capital traders have been trading. For example, you can see whether people are taking a bullish or bearish stance. Also, if you want to take a position on gold or oil, you could head over to an interactive chart and see which direction other traders are moving. Used correctly, this may help you capitalise on trends and boost your salary.
- Education – The broker offers a vast range of free educational resources. This includes training modules, downloadable files, video commentary and more. All of which can help you with everything from basic definitions to implementing complex strategies.
- Automated trading – The MT4 platform allows for APIs and extensions so you can enlist the services of trading robots and EAs.
- Award Winning – ETX have picked up 4 awards already in 2020, the most recent being Best Online Trading Platform at the ‘Shares’ magazine awards.
Regulation & License
As forex and cfd broker reviews show, finding a trustworthy exchange is becoming increasingly important. This is a result of a growing number of scams and fraudulent brokers. Fortunately, a quick company check shows ETX Capital has regulatory oversight from the FCA, with Financial Services register number 124721.
Because they are regulated, compliance with a number of measures to protect consumers have to be met. This should put intraday traders at ease that ETX Capital is a legitimate broker, concerned about customers as well as their dividends.
ETX Capital stands out in several areas:
- No dealing desk – ETX Capital is a no dealing desk broker. As a result, you may benefit from straightforward and direct trade access, plus low costs.
- Rebates – FX traders may be eligible for a cash back rebate on every trade they make. In addition, user reviews report relatively low problems with slippage.
- Demo account – Prospective forex, CFD and spread betting users get access to a demo account. This is a great tool for building confidence and test driving ETX Capital’s software.
- Trading tools – Customer reviews praise the range of tools on offer from the industry leading platforms. You get advanced charts, one-click trading, plus a range of technical indicators.
- Market choice – There is no shortage of products and instruments to choose from. As a result, the broker is a sensible choice for both beginners and veterans.
- Competitive spreads – Take ETX Capital vs IG Index, NinjaTrader or Plus500 and you realise the former promises attractive prices for active traders.
- Education – There is an array of free educational material available to traders, including seminars, tutorial videos, user guides and manuals. These resources can prove particularly useful for novice traders.
- International accessibility – Broker reviews are quick to point out customers from all over the world can trade with ETX Capital. That includes users from Australia, Ireland, Germany, Spain, India, and Indonesia. However, traders from the USA are not accepted.
- Pro Clients – Professional Client Service. Offering higher leverage, more control over closed trades and more trading options.
Despite notable advantages, customer reviews also underline several downsides to the ETX Capital offering:
- Limited account options – There have been some complaints about the limited account options. Just one standard account means there are no financial incentives and benefits for traders with significant capital.
Complex navigation – The website can be unnecessarily challenging to navigate, especially when compared with some competitors. This can all detract from the overall user experience.
- Negative balance protection – There are other brokers who do more in terms of negative balance protection for customers. It would be reassuring to see the CEO do more to protect users in this way.
- No live chat – Whilst most competitors offer live chat support, ETX Capital offers only telephone and email support.
- No localised telephone support – ETX Capital does not have localised telephone support numbers for international clients. As a result, traders from Dublin will be contacting the same number as those from Dubai.
ETX Capital Trading Hours
On the whole, ETX Capital opening hours are around the industry norm. For example, the TraderPro platform is open for forex trading between 22:00 GMT Sunday through until 21:55 GMT Friday.
However, specific product trading times can vary in response to changes in liquidity. In addition, Christmas trading hours and other holidays will affect opening hours. See the official website for upcoming holiday hours.
Contact & Customer Support
Customer reviews of ETX Capital were mixed in terms of the customer support on offer. On the positive side, you have access to email and telephone support. See the Contact Us section on the website for the relevant telephone contact number and email address.
The ETX Capital customer service is provided in a long list of languages, including English and South African
User reviews show they can help you with everything from binary login details and forgotten passwords to pip calculators and guidance when the website is down.
You can also head to their Support and FAQ section. Here you will find answers and discussions around most common problems.
On the downside, support is not available 24/7, like some competitors, but instead runs from 07:30 to 21:00 GMT Monday to Friday. In addition, there is no live chat support, despite some competitors now offering live video chat services.
Overall then, there are several customer services open to users. However, beginners who want a hands-on live chat or video support may want to look at alternatives.
Safety & Security
ETX Capital expressly state how serious they take personal security. In fact, they have a Security Officer to ensure privacy policies and legislation are met. Furthermore, the broker utilises advanced encryption technologies and firewalls. On top of that, client funds are kept segregated in tier-1 banks.
ETX Capital Verdict
So are ETX Capital any good? Well, forex, CFD, spread betting and binary options reviews suggest yes. With extensive experience, powerful trading tools and an unlimited demo account, ETX Capital makes for a worthy broker contender. In particular, if you’re looking for reliability and integrity, a long list of awards helps demonstrate ETX Capital may be the right choice.
For additional guidance and other options, see our brokers list.
ETX Capital only accepts traders from United Kingdom.
|ETX Capital are a London based, FCA regulated broker offering tight spreads across a wide range of markets. They offer professional client services to Pro clients. ETX are offering a FREE trading course to new clients, and free guaranteed stops on the TraderPro platform.|