XM Review 2022
Go to the Brokers List for alternatives
XM broker review; touted as the next generation broker for online forex and commodity trading, XM is suitable for beginner and seasoned traders alike. Investors can get started with the trading software real account, or test the waters with a demo account platform with 100,000 USD of virtual currency. Highlights of this particular broker service include auto trading, no hidden fees or commissions and fast order executions, with 99.35% taking place in under 1 second.
In this 2022 XM review, we take a look at what the broker offers and how it compares vs its competitors. Find out whether our expert traders would recommend opening an account with XM.
XM.com was founded in 2009. Today, it is a market maker boasting over five million clients in over 190 countries and 30+ industry awards. 1000+ assets are available with spreads starting from 0.0 pips.
The company has grown into an established international investment firm, priding itself on providing a personalized experience for every client, no matter their investment goals. The broker’s headquarters are based in Limassol, Cyprus.
XM is essentially a group of regulated online trading entities:
- Trading Point of Financial Instruments was established in 2009 and is regulated by the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC 120/10)
- Trading Point of Financial Instruments Pty Ltd was established in 2015 and is regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC 443670)
- XM Global was established in 2017 and is regulated by the International Financial Services Commission (IFSC 000261/158)
- Trading Point MENA Limited was established in 2019 and is regulated by the Dubai Financial Services Authority (DFSA 003484)
Note, the brokerage also holds additional operating licenses in other trading jurisdictions.
The platforms are accessible from both real and demo accounts.
The multi-award winning MetaTrader 4 is a popular choice amongst retail forex traders. Its tools are easy to use, efficient and support customization.
Key features include:
- Three chart types
- One-click trading
- VPS functionality
- Micro lot accounts
- 50+ technical indicators
- Three execution modes
- Two market orders
- Four pending orders
- Two stop orders and a trailing stop
- Full Expert Advisor (EA) functionality
The XM margin call level on MT4 is 20%.
MT4 Multiterminal is also available to manage up to 128 accounts simultaneously.
MT5 is the successor of MT4. It offers all the features of MT4 plus a greater number of tradeable instruments as well as more advanced technical analysis. Our experts found that it is best suited to experienced traders.
Key features include:
- All order types
- Hedging allowed
- One-click trading
- Full EA functionality
- 80+ technical indicators
- Market depth of latest price quotes
- Ability to display 100 charts simultaneously
- Integrated MQL5 development environment
- Multi-asset platform supporting over 1000 instruments
Both platforms are available on Apple and Android devices, which makes for a smooth and easy-to-use mobile trading experience. MT4 and MT5 are also available online through WebTrader.
Note, the trading area offers additional tools, such as an economic calendar and trade volume stats.
How To Make A Trade
It is quick and easy to open a position on XM’s trading platforms:
- Register for a live account
- Download the trading platform or login via the browser
- On MT5, select ‘File’ in the top left menu
- Click on ‘New chart’ and find the asset you wish to speculate on, for example forex
- Select ‘Insert’ from the top menu to overlay indicators, objects, experts and scripts
- When you are ready to make a trade, click ‘New order’ from the centre of the top menu
- Choose your trade paramaters, including order size, buy or sell, stop loss and take profit orders etc
- Confirm the trade
Assets & Markets
XM offers 1000+ trading instruments spanning CFDs on forex, stocks, cryptocurrency, equity indices and commodities, including precious metals and energies.
Forex trading is available on over 55 pairs, including USD, GBP, EUR and JPY pairs.
Traders can choose between stocks from over 600 companies as well as major global indices such as the NASDAQ and DAX.
XM.com does not offer binary options.
Spreads & Commission
XM operates with variable spreads.
Spreads start as low as 0.0 pips but vary depending on the account type opened. The average spread for a major pair such as EUR/USD is 0.1 pips.
XM operates a strict “no hidden fees or commission” policy. As such, commission is only charged on XM Zero accounts. XM covers all transfer fees and same-day withdrawals are guaranteed.
Fractional pip pricing is also available, allowing clients to benefit from the smallest movements.
Depending on the instrument, leverage can range from 1:2 to 1:30. This is flexible and XM offers its clients the chance to manage their own leverage risk. Margin requirements remain constant throughout the week and never widen at weekends or at night.
This leverage applies to clients registered under the EU-regulated entity of the group. Traders registered with other entities may be able to trade with 1:1000 leverage.
XM is available to use on the go with their mobile app.
The application is compatible with a range of Android phones (APK) and tablets, plus Apple devices including iPhones and iPads. The XM app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
Apps are fully functional and allow for monitoring and trading on the go. Login is also easy and can be done via fingerprint.
Deposits are processed instantly. They can be made in any currency and will be automatically converted into the currency you select as your base when opening the account.
Accepted funding methods include Visa, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Maestro, Diners Club International, UnionPay, XM card, Skrill, Neteller, Web Money, Sticpay, and bank wire transfers.
PayPal is not currently accepted, nor are Bitcoin deposits or payments made with other cryptocurrencies.
Withdrawals are usually processed within 24 hours. The minimum withdrawal sum is 5 USD.
Whilst most withdrawal methods are free, there is a fee associated with wire transfers if the amount is less than 200 USD.
In line with conventional KYC regulations, users need to provide a color copy of an official identification document such as a passport or a driver’s license to process a deposit or withdrawal request. Traders also need to provide a recent utility bill dated within the last three months as proof of address.
Maximum withdrawals may vary according to the method used. Withdrawal reviews are generally positive.
For withdrawal issues, or account validation, contact the customer support team.
XM Account Types
There are currently three options for live trading accounts: Micro, Standard and Zero. All accounts allow up to 200 open/pending positions per client.
- Micro Accounts: Micro accounts use USD, EUR, GBP, CHF, AUD, JPY, HUF and PLN as the base currency. Users can start trading with a minimum deposit of $5 USD. Spreads start as low as 1 pip. 1 micro lot is 1,000 units of the base currency.
- Standard: Standard accounts can also use USD, EUR, GBP, CHF, AUD, JPY, HUF and PLN as the base currency and traders can get started with just $5 USD. 1 standard lot is 100,000 units of the chosen base currency. Spreads on all majors are as low as 1 pip. There is little difference between the Basic and Standard account options.
- Zero Accounts: Zero accounts can choose between USD, JPY and EUR as the base currency. The minimum deposit is also $5 USD. Like the Standard account, 1 standard lot is 100,000 units of the chosen base currency. Spreads are more competitive, however, starting at 0 pips. Note, Zero accounts are not available to all the entities of the XM Group.
XM clients can hold up to eight trading accounts at a time. Account management can be handled in the XM.com members area. An Islamic account is also available upon request.
The broker does not offer a PAMM account.
Users can set up a demo account free of charge.
Each demo account is credited with a virtual balance of 100,000 USD and there are no time limits imposed.
To open an XM demo account, simply head to the website, sign up for a paper trading solution and complete the registration form.
The demo account offers an authentic trading experience, without the risk of incurring real losses. Clients are able to keep a demo account open once a live account has been activated, meaning that you can continue to learn at your own pace.
Demo login is quick and easy.
Bonus Deals & Promotions
As an EU-regulated brand, XM complies with the ESMA ban on bonuses and contests. The 30$ bonus is no longer available to claim by EU traders, for example.
However, the brokerage does offer commission and fee-free withdrawals and deposits. XM also offers a free VPS (virtual private server) service to help increase the speed of trades. The VPS is accessible from anywhere and available 24/7.
Regulation & Licensing
As outlined above, the XM Group encompasses a number of brands. These are covered by different regulators:
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC)
- International Financial Services Commission (IFSC)
- Dubai Financial Services Authority (DFSA)
The global brokerage offers negative balance protection. Client funds are also kept separate from the broker’s cash.
While using XM, we found one of the biggest perks is the wealth of training and educational materials available. The platform hosts a Research hub where traders can access technical summaries, trade ideas as well as a podcast, blog and XM TV.
There is also a Learning Centre that hosts regular webinars suitable for newcomers and seasoned professionals. As well as educational videos, tutorials and live market tips.
In addition, the XM broker is inherently social, encouraging users to learn from their team of instructors.
There is also a range of basic tools available including an economic and margin calculator and regular news.
XM.com offers a full-service education package on all things forex, great for those making their first steps into trading.
However, this is not at the expense of the more seasoned professional, who also has access to expert analysis and advanced tracking tools. As a company that prides itself on solid customer service, its users are well-served with support available in many different languages.
Multiple strategies and systems are accepted such as copy trading, automated investing, and hedging.
XM provides negative balance protection to both EU and non-EU clients.
Free forex signals are also provided to all account holders.
When we used XM, we found that customer support is only available Monday to Friday.
Another drawback is the lack of diversity between the different account types. Whereas other brokers offer more benefits as you move through the account options, the XM Micro, Standard and Zero accounts are fairly similar.
Traders from certain regions are also forbidden to open an account due to licensing laws, these include Canada and the United States.
In addition, the lack of cryptocurrency trading may deter some users.
In line with worldwide forex market hours, XM is available 24 hours a day.
For day traders, sessions that see high volumes are generally the most lucrative. Peak times correspond to when US and London markets overlap, between 13:00 GMT – 16:00 GMT. There are key three time zones:
- UK – 8:00 GMT – 17:00 GMT; EUR, GBP, USD are the most active currencies;
- US – 13:00 GMT – 22:00 GMT; USD, EUR, GBP, AUD, JPY are the most active currencies;
- Tokyo – opens at 22:00 GMT on Sunday afternoon, and goes into the European trading session at about 09:00 GMT.
XM.com trading hours may change around key holidays schedules such as Christmas.
Contact Details & Customer Support
The easiest way to contact the team at XM.com is through their live chat feature found on the contact page of their website.
Clients can also email support at email@example.com or, call their contact number on +357 25029933.
Support is available in 30 languages including English, Chinese, Russian, Spanish and Arabic.
User reviews are generally positive, reporting that staff are available to assist with a range of issues from member areas login problems to queries regarding the pip calculator and more.
Safety & Security
There are no obvious security concerns with the website. Encryption technology and multi-factor authentication is available on the platforms to improve login security.
Clients are required to confirm their email address to open a demo account but signing up for email updates is not a requirement. Identification documents are also required.
XM is a reputable broker offering flexible options to suit the needs of any trader. Whether you are just starting out and learning the ropes, or if you’re a seasoned investor looking for a reliable and efficient platform, XM has a lot to offer.
Fees are competitive and resources are comprehensive. Whilst the range of instruments available is not the biggest our experts have seen, the number of platforms is extensive.
Use the sign-up link below to create a live account.
XM accepts traders from Australia, Thailand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Italy, Denmark, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Qatar and most other countries.
Traders can not use XM from United States, Canada, Israel, Iran, Argentina.
Compare XM with similar brokers that accept traders from your location. Among available brokers these are the most similar to XM:
- InstaForex – InstaForex is a CFD broker providing access to forex, stocks, cryptocurrencies, commodities, and energy, as well as stock indices. With competitive fees and a huge range of available assets, the brand offers safe and reliable trading.
- eToro – eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptoassets, as well as trading CFDs. eToro USA LLC does not offer CFDs, only real crypto assets available.
- IG Group – IG-US offer spread betting, CFD and Forex trading across a range of markets. They are FCA regulated, boast a great trading app and have over 47 year track record of excellence.
- Forex.com – Forex.com boast a global reputation. Regulated in the UK, EU, US and Canada they offer a huge range of markets, not just forex, and offer tight spreads on a cutting edge platform.
XM Comparison Table
|Markets||Forex, Stocks, Commodities, Crypto||Forex, Stocks, Commodities, Crypto||Forex, Stocks, Commodities, Crypto||Forex, Stocks, Commodities, Crypto||Forex, Stocks, Commodities, Crypto|
|Minimum Deposit||5 $/€/£||€200 to €50,000 (depending on account type)||$10||£250||$100|
|Minimum Trade||0.01 Micro lots||0.01 Lots||$10||0.1 lots||$1|
|Regulators||IFSC, DFSA, CySEC, ASIC, FCA, BaFin, CNMV, MNB, CONSOB, ACPR, FIN-FSA, KNF, AFM, FI||CySEC||FCA, CySEC, ASIC, FSA||FCA, ASIC, MAS, FSCA, JFSA, FMA, CFTC, NFA, BMA, DFSA, FINMA, BaFin||CySEC, IIROC, NFA, CFTC, FCA, CIMA|
|Bonus||Free VPN Services||–||–||–||No|
|Platforms||MT4, MT5||MT4, MT5||–||MT4||MT4|
|Leverage||1:500||1:30 for retail clients, 1:500 for professional||1:30 EU||1:30||1:200|
|Detailed Comparison||–||XM vs InstaForex||XM vs eToro||XM vs IG Group||XM vs Forex.com|
Compare Trading Instruments
XM vs Other Brokers
Compare XM with any other broker by selecting the other broker below.
The most popular XM comparisons:
- XM vs eToro
- FXTM vs XM
- HotForex vs XM
- XM vs Admiral Markets
- XM vs XTB
- FP Markets vs XM
- XM vs IC Markets
- XM vs FXPro
Is XM A Good And Genuine Broker?
XM is a leading CFD broker, with low fees, multiple platforms and flexible account options. It is suitable for traders of all experience levels. XM is also regulated and adheres to high standards for security and operations. We are confident that it is not associated with scams or fraudulent channels.
Is XM.com A Legit Stock Broker?
Clients can trade CFDs on stocks of over 600 global companies. In addition to forex, commodities and indices. The online brokerage is a top-rated and legitimate trading firm.
IS XM Available In The US?
No – XM is not currently available to traders based in the United States (USA). For a full list of accepted countries, visit the XM website.
What Is The Minimum Investment On XM?
To open a live trading XM account, clients will need to deposit 5 USD. Micro trading lots are available.
How Do You Make Money From XM Trading?
To be a successful trader requires dedication. Make the most of the free resources available including demo accounts, webinars, and tools. Head to the company’s Research & Education portal for a selection of beginner-friendly resources.
Is XM A Market Maker?
XM is a market maker. The broker also guarantees no requotes alongside fast execution speeds.
|XM.com offers a range of account types and a $5 minimum deposit to appeal to all levels of trader. With 1000+ markets and low variable spreads XM.com provides an excellent trading experience.|