TradeHawk Review 2023
TradeHawk offers low-cost stock and options trading via Tradier.
Speculate on 22 stock exchanges with competitive pricing
TradeHawk is an advanced trading terminal, ideal for experienced investors. Hosted by the Tradier brokerage, TradeHawk supports multi-asset global investments on an innovative yet user-friendly platform. This review will cover how to open and fund an account, software features, regulations, minimum deposit requirements, and more.
TradeHawk is a fully featured stock and options platform designed by industry experts. The intuitive platform is exclusively offered by Tradier Ltd and is one of the most powerful and cost-effective ways to trade options.
Developed and launched by OptionEyes Holdings LLC in 2017, the terminal aims to democratize options and equity trading, combining simplicity and transparent pricing in one terminal.
Dan Raju, Founder and Chairman of the Tradier enterprise, commented: “Our partnership with TradeHawk represents our commitment to power the next generation of trading platforms. It humbles everyone at Tradier Inc that we can partner with innovative companies like TradeHawk that offer products and choices that in many cases never existed before”.
The hosting broker is registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a broker-dealer. It also has membership with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
The TradeHawk platform is one of several third-party software providers. There are two TradeHawk solutions available to retail investors; TradeHawk 1.0 and TradeHawk 2.0. The latest version provides various updated tools, analysis features and access to improved order management.
Both terminals are available to download to MAC or Windows devices. There is no webtrader interface. You can also find a useful download user guide and YouTube video content, with links directly from the broker’s website.
We have outlined the main functionality of both terminals below:
- Charting – Indicators only
- Portfolio – Strategy view only
- Option Grid – Quick trade capability for complex option orders
- Risk Analysis – Probability of profit/loss, ability to adjust orders for trade decisions
- Order Entry – Three advanced order types (OCO, OTO, OT-OCO), conditional orders and trade preview risk analysis
- Strategy Tracker – Compute profit & loss and cost basis for every strategy
- Charting – Variety of chart types, indicators, custom time frame studies, option and spread charts
- Portfolio – Multi portfolio views, sortable/customizable columns, Beta and $ Delta adjusted views
- Order Entry – Three advanced order types (OCO, OTO, OT-OCO), trade preview risk analysis and Monte Carlo analysis
- Option Grid – Quick trade capability for complex option orders, horizontal and vertical expiration views, customizable columns
- Risk Analysis – Probability of profit & loss, ability to adjust orders for trade decisions, analyze volatility by strike, compare multiple strategies in one interface
The broker offers access to stocks, options and ETFs only. Day traders can access the stock and ETF market, with 22 stock exchanges and 14 options markets. In addition to equity trading, Tradier offers low-cost options trading at $0.35 per contract or a monthly all-inclusive options subscription from just $10. TradeHawk 2.0 order entry includes equity, single leg options, and complex option orders.
Investors have access to four major order types when trading stocks and options; market order, limit order, stop order and stop-limit order. There is also the option to mark positions as ‘good for the day’ or ‘good until canceled’. Equity and option orders are routed through the broker’s clearing firm, Apex Clearing.
Note, TradeHawk is not compatible with forex, futures, cryptocurrency, or NFT trading. This includes investing in Bitcoin (BTC), Ripple (XRP), Kadena (KDA) and Stellar Lumens (XLM).
Spreads & Fees
The Tradier brand maintains a simple fee schedule. Clients utilizing the TradeHawk platform pay a subscription fee plus a commission on some trades. Importantly, fees are reasonable, with competitors including TradeUI charging a $49.99 subscription fee per month.
Clients of Tradier and users of the TradeHawk platform will pay the following costs by account type:
- Mobile – $10 per month, no contract fees
- Elite – $85 per month, zero commission contract fees
- Pro – $10 per month, $0.35 contract fee with no minimums
Other fees include:
- Margin Interest – 5.25% (subject to change)
- IRA Fees – $30 annual fee, $60 termination charge
- Account Opening Fees – $10 new entity opening fee
- Options Expiration – Option assignments/exercise; $9
- Broker Assisted Order – $10 per order plus commission
- Inactivity Fees – Annual $50 cost for accounts with a holding of less than $2000
The maximum leverage available to retail traders will depend on several factors including account balance and financial product. Some assets, including shares trading at less than $3, options and volatile securities, are not available to trade with margin. The typical initial margin requirement for equities and ETFs trading above $3 per share is 50%, meaning half the money required to purchase these stocks can be borrowed.
A daily interest fee will be charged for accounts with outstanding debit balances. Also remember, leverage can magnify profits as well as losses.
There are different margin plans for options strategies, these can be categorized into the following:
- Debit Strategies – Cash is required to place a trade. Exposure of the trade is limited to the amount of funds available
- Naked Put Strategies – Margin requirement exposure can be measured by the current stock price and the option premium
- Credit Strategies – Margin exposure is based on the differences between strike process involved. The maximum difference creates the margin requirement
- Naked Call Strategies – Unlimited exposure as the price of an asset has no distinct limit. The margin requirement is premeditated using the current premium on the call option and the current price of the asset
The TradeHawk platform is available as a mobile app, meaning investors can download the application to iOS and Android devices directly from the broker’s website or via the relevant app store. The app is free to download.
Access the tools, features and functionality found on the web trader terminals. UX reviews are positive, highlighting customizable navigation and fast processing times. You can manage your account, open and close positions, check live pricing and view charts while on the go.
There is no minimum deposit requirement to open a TradeHawk cash trading account. To load an account, simply login and select the ‘fund’ tab within the platform interface. The broker accepts four deposit options; ACH transfer, cheque, bank wire transfer and ACAT transfer. Deposited funds via all payment methods may be held for up to four working days for any new account holders.
- Cheque – Deposits made via cheque should clear within one working day
- Bank Wire Transfer – Funds are cleared immediately and processed to accounts within two to five hours. Third party charges may apply
- ACH Transfer – ACH deposits made before 3 PM EST will be available within 2-3 hours. A maximum one deposit per day limit is applicable, with a daily cap of $25,000
- Automated Customer Account Transfer (ACAT) – Transfers typically take between five to seven business days to complete. Fees apply, varying by financial institution, though they often come in between $50 and $100. An ACAT form must be completed and returned to Tradier for processing
Withdrawals can be made via ACH, bank wire transfer or cheque requests. ACH withdrawals are limited to $25,000 per day. Wire transfer requests must be received by 1 PM EST to be processed the same day.
A free demo account is available to all new TradeHawk clients, similar vs TradeStation and Active Trader Pro. A simple online registration form is required to start trading. Access up to $100,000 virtual funds to practice strategies risk-free and learn platform features and tools.
Additionally, new investors can book a free 45-minute online platform tour with a TradeHawk pro. This can help you learn tips and tricks before entering the live environment.
Deals & Promotions
At the time of writing, there were no live promotions or bonus deals. Our review did find some historical promo code offers on websites such as Stocktwits and Wiki. These referral promo deals included a 20% discount on subscription services and a $10 fee reduction for the first month of trading.
Keep an eye on the broker’s website or social media channels such as Twitter for the latest financial incentives and promotions.
Regulation & Licensing
Tradier Brokerage Inc is registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a broker-dealer. It also has membership with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC). SIPC can provide up to $500,000 compensation if the broker goes into insolvency, which includes a $250,000 limit for cash.
Note, TradeHawk customers are subject to SEC’s regulation T. The rulings stipulate a holding period when shares of stock or option contracts are sold in a cash account. For options, this period is one business day.
We were disappointed with the limited educational resources available to TradeHawk clients. The broker offers a subscription newsletter service and blog with the latest news updates and price prediction information. However, it would be good to see a series of beginner options trading tutorials or PDF keyword glossaries.
You can find an embedded TradeHawk user manual and video content on the broker’s website with various topics covered. This includes understanding a price quote, navigation hacks and reading profit & loss holdings. Nevertheless, other platforms aimed towards the advanced investor, such as Interactive Brokers, are doing a much better job in the education department.
Tradier Brokerage’s research is provided by TradingView. The research page includes an overview of stocks, listings of financials, the latest news timelines and technical analysis reviews for different periods.
TradeHawk retail clients can open one of two account options; Pro or Elite. Both accounts offer access to services on MAC or Windows devices. The Pro account provides multi-leg option strategies with a $10 subscription fee per month. The Elite account is designed for active traders, with no contract commissions.
You must have an account with Tradier before you can utilize the services of TradeHawk. A simple online registration form is required with mandatory KYC verification documentation.
The US-based broker accepts customers from 120 global locations including India, Guyana, the UK and more.
Due to the risks involved with options trading, the broker implements account levels with varying accessibility to features. Individual investors are evaluated based on previous experience, risk tolerance and financial objectives. Some levels require a minimum account value.
The account levels are as follows:
- Level 1 – Covered call and cash secured put writing (Cash secured put writing only available in Cash accounts. Short puts are considered naked in margin accounts)
- Level 2 – All features of level one plus buying long calls and long puts
- Level 3 – All features of level two plus option spread commissions
- Level 4 – All features of level three plus naked put writing ($10,000 minimum account value required)
- Level 5 – All features of level four plus naked call writing ($50,000 minimum account value required)
- Level 6 – All features of level five plus naked index option writing ($100,000 minimum account value required)
- Mobile app
- Demo account
- SIPC investor protection
- Several customer service options
- Multiple deposit payment methods
- No minimum deposit requirements
- Advanced stock and options trading platform
- Regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission
- Limited educational content
- No weekend customer support
- No forex, futures or cryptocurrency trading and investments
The published TradeHawk trading hours are 9:30 AM EST to 4 PM EST, however these may vary by instrument. Options on some securities such as SPY, QQQ and VXX trade until 4:15 PM EST.
A session timetable is also available on the broker’s website to stay up to date with upcoming public holidays, daily break sessions and market closures.
Tradier offers several customer support options available Monday to Friday 8 AM to 5 PM EST. Use these details for any TradeHawk platform queries. Services include telephone, online contact form and a headquarters office address. The broker is also present across social media channels including Twitter and Github. In addition, a self-help question and answer page is available with details such as QR code downloads or what to do if a login password is not working.
- Phone Number – +1(980) 272-3880
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal Address – 11016 Rushmore Dr, Suite 350, Charlotte, NC 28277
- Online Contact Form – Located in the ‘contact’ section on the top navigation bar
Traders using the TradeHawk platform should feel assured that the company follows comprehensive safety protocols. Personal and financial data is exchanged with encryption between the broker and the terminal. Two-factor authentication (2FA) can also be added to trading platform accounts. This added layer of security uses a verification code every time you log in to your online account via an authenticator app or email address prompt.
With so many platforms connected to Tradier, it can feel difficult to navigate all the choices and prices. The TradeHawk proprietary platform is impressive, particularly for active investors with full access to real-time market data and all the rich features of a professional trading platform. The low per-month subscription fee also makes it an exciting solution for options trading.
What Is TradeHawk?
TradeHawk is a cutting-edge stock and options trading platform designed by professional traders for retail investors. It is exclusively offered by the Tradier brokerage and is one of several third-party terminals offered by the broker.
What Assets Can I Trade On TradeHawk?
TradeHawk provides access to stocks, options and ETFs. Investors can trade on the stock and ETF market, with 22 exchanges and 14 options markets. This is relatively limited vs TradeStation that provides opportunities on indices, crude oil, bonds and other futures contracts.
Does TradeHawk Offer A Demo Account?
Yes – TradeHawk provides a paper trading account, available to all new retail clients. Utilize virtual funds to practice strategies risk-free and view platform features.
Is TradeHawk Free To Use?
TradeHawk is a free platform for Tradier customers. Investors will be required to pay the broker’s typical fees, varying by account type.
Is TradeHawk Safe?
TradeHawk has been developed by OptionEyes, exclusively for the Tradier brokerage. The broker is registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a broker-dealer. Additionally, the company has membership with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC).
TradeHawk accepts traders from Australia, Thailand, Canada, United States, United Kingdom, South Africa, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Italy, Denmark, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Qatar and most other countries.
|Regulated By||SEC, FINRA|
|Mobile Apps||iOS & Android|
|AI / Machine Learning||No|
|Negative Balance Protection||No|
|Guaranteed Stop Loss||No|
Top 3 Alternatives to TradeHawk
Compare TradeHawk with the top 3 similar brokers that accept traders from your location.
IG Group – IG is an award-winning broker that has an excellent reputation globally. The brand-US offers spread betting, CFD and forex trading across a comprehensive suite of markets. IG is also multi-regulated, provides a great trading app and has 50 years experience.
Go to IG Group
Interactive Brokers – Interactive Brokers is a leading global brokerage that provides access to a comprehensive offering of stocks as well as forex, futures, metals, bonds and cryptos. The firm has over 40 years experience in the online trading industry and is heavily regulated by SEC, FCA, IIROC, and SFC. Day traders can use the proprietary Trader Workstation and can access powerful tools and data feeds as well as comprehensive educational resources.
Go to Interactive Brokers
Forex.com – Forex.com boasts a global reputation with multiple awards and 20+ years experience. Regulated in the US, EU, UK and Canada they provide a huge range of day trading markets, not just forex, and offer competitive fees on a cutting-edge platform. The brand also provides a suite of additional tools, from performance analytics and SMART Signals to advanced charts and strategy builders.
Go to Forex.com
TradeHawk Comparison Table
|TradeHawk||IG Group||Interactive Brokers||Forex.com|
|Markets||Stocks, Options, ETFs||CFDs, Forex, Stocks, Indices, Commodities, ETFs, Futures, Options, Crypto, Spread Betting||Forex, Stocks, Commodities, Crypto||Forex, Spot Metals|
|Minimum Trade||$0||0.01 Lots||$100||0.01 Lots|
|Regulators||SEC, FINRA||FCA, ASIC, NFA, CFTC, DFSA, BaFin, MAS, FSCA||SEC, FCA, IIROC, SFC||NFA, CFTC|
|Bonus||–||–||–||Active Trader Program With A 15% Reduction In Costs|
|Platforms||TradingView||MT4, AutoChartist, TradingCentral||AlgoTrader, OmniTrader, eSignal, TradingCentral||MT4, MT5, TradingView, eSignal, AutoChartist, TradingCentral|
|Leverage||–||1:30 (Retail), 1:250 (Pro)||1:50||1:50|
Compare Trading Instruments
Compare the markets and instruments offered by TradeHawk and its competitors. Please note, some markets may only be available via CFDs or other derivatives.
|TradeHawk||IG Group||Interactive Brokers||Forex.com|
TradeHawk vs Other Brokers
Compare TradeHawk with any other broker by selecting the other broker below.
There are no customer reviews of TradeHawk yet, will you be the first to help fellow traders decide if they should trade with TradeHawk or not?
|TradeHawk offers low-cost stock and options trading via Tradier.|