AAATrade Review 2021
United States not accepted.
Go to the Brokers List for alternatives
|AAATrade Facts & Figures|
AAATrade offers CFDs, securities and cryptocurrency trading on proprietary and MetaTrader platforms.
|Instruments||CFD, Forex, Crypto, Stocks|
|Payment Methods||Credit Card, Debit Card, FasaPay, Neteller, Skrill, UnionPay|
|Regulated By||FCA, CySEC, BaFIN, CNMV|
|Mobile Apps||Yes (iOS & Android)|
|Auto Trading||Yes (EAs)|
|USD, EUR, GBP|
|AAATrade offers leveraged CFD trading on a range of popular financial markets.|
AAATrade offers 80+ forex pairs, including majors and minors.
AAATrade offers over 50 cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin and Ethereum.
|Coins||BTC, ETH, LTC, DOGE, DASH, XRP, XLM, XMR, ZEC, USDT|
AAATrade is a broker and trading platform which caters for retail traders, institutional investors and other brokers. Thousands of financial instruments and products are offered, including the opportunity to exchange cryptos. This review will look in more depth at AAATrade’s product offering, its fees, regulation and more.
The company was established in 2013 in Cyprus, with its purpose to ensure clients of various sizes had access to a wide range of financial products for trading. AAATrade is regulated by the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC), and is also regulated by BaFin, the FCA and the CNMV.
AAATrade caters for both retail and institutional clients, while recognising that every trader is different. There are some who want access to portfolio management and some who don’t. There are some who prefer an account with zero commission and those who would prefer low commissions and tighter spreads. And there are traders who’d rather trade on just the price movement of an underlying asset, whereas others would rather own the asset itself. AAATrade recognises these differences – and caters for all.
AAATrade offers various types of trading platforms: a mobile app designed for trading on the go, a desktop app downloadable to your device, and a web-based version. Let’s look at each one:
- Brand new web trading platform
- Available to all traders on AAATrade
- Access tens of thousands of ETFs, stocks etc.
- Built-in market updates including an economic calendar
- Access MT5’s rich offering including technical indicators and graphical objects
- Trade directly from your browser (e.g Safari or Windows) – no need to download any software
MT5 Desktop Download
- Trading signals and copy trading
- Trade currencies, stocks and futures
- Make use of analytical tools and news reports
- Four order execution modes and all types of trade orders
- Software download required – available for download on Apple or Windows devices
MT5 Mobile App
- Available on Android and iOS
- Includes all types of trade orders
- Access the features of MT5 on the go
- Access more than 50 cryptocurrency pairs
- Real time market analysis and market updates
- Download the mobile app on iOS or Android, or use the web platform
Users can trade tens of thousands of assets on AAATrade:
- CFDs – Including forex, futures (e.g crude oil), indices, bonds, stocks, cryptos, metals and ETFs
- Securities – Including stocks from over 60 global stock exchanges, derivatives, money market securities, bonds, ETFs, precious metals, fixed income, alternative investment funds, and treasury bills
- Cryptocurrencies – More than 50 crypto pairs, including those with the highest market cap, such as Bitcoin and Ethereum
Fees & Spreads
When trading CFDs, AAATrade offers different spreads and commission rates depending on the chosen account. With a Novice Account, there is zero commission with AAATrade making its money through spreads. This account is comparable to the commission-free trading accounts offered by Trading 212 and eToro.
With an Experienced Account, a commission is charged but spreads are generally lower. For forex majors, a charge of 4 USD/lot applies. For assets traded on the London Stock Exchange, it is 0.85%. Minimum commission applies, even when trading in small volumes.
The average CFD EUR/USD spread on the AAATrade Novice Account is 0.0002 (equal to 2 pips). This is a reasonably high spread for such a liquid market.
For CFD Brent Crude futures, the average spread is 0.2 and for the FTSE 100 index, it is 5.31. Average spreads change frequently.
Note, spreads also apply to crypto pairs.
Overnight rollover fees are applicable when you hold a CFD position overnight on AAATrade.
There are also safekeeping fees (Global Custody Services). For portfolios of up to 5 million euros, this is charged at 0.65% p.a. (note, minimum fees apply). This fee is usually debited on the close day of the position.
Other fees may also apply for securities when trading through AAATrade, including execution fees and other custody fees. A 1% exchange fee is charged for all exchanges between fiat currencies.
5% exchange fees are charged when exchanging a fiat currency to cryptocurrency or vice-versa. When exchanging crypto with another token, the exchange fee is 1%.
Traders should also be aware that when transferring crypto between an AAATrade virtual wallet and an external wallet, a 0.2% fee per transfer is charged to cover miners’ fees. Minimum charges apply.
Institutional traders of crypto should contact AAATrade for pricing details.
Be aware of deposit and withdrawal fees too, which are explained further down.
On AAATrade, the maximum leverage ratio for CFDs is 1:200. CFDs are a leveraged financial instrument, meaning greater exposure to risk. Let’s say that the margin requirement is 10%. This means an investment of £100 would actually mean exposure to £1,000 of potential losses. Luckily, AAAtrade offers negative balance protection, meaning you cannot lose more than your deposit amount. If your account slips into the negative, this will be capped by the brokerage.
Note, no leverage is available when investing in securities.
At this stage, those wanting to trade traditional assets and instruments using a mobile/tablet app should use the MT5 mobile app. Developed by MetaQuotes, MT5 is a familiar platform for many traders, with rich features, a range of technical analysis instruments and various trade orders. The MT5 mobile app can be downloaded on iOS or Android.
AAATrade is working towards releasing its own mobile app that will allow users to trade over 60,000 assets.
The company also has their own separate CryptoExchange app to give customers the opportunity to delve into the world of digital currencies, although this is currently undergoing maintenance.
AAATrade accepts the following deposit methods:
- Credit/debit card (including Visa, Mastercard, and Maestro)
- Bank Transfer (wire transfer)
- Crypto wallet
- QIWI wallet
For trading accounts, deposits can be made using EUR, USD or GBP. Credit/debit card deposits are processed immediately but bank transfers can take a few business days. Something else which may slow down the process is that for some methods (e.g wire transfer), AAATrade requires proof of transaction.
Fees apply for deposits unless it is an internal transfer of funds. For example, direct wire transfers cost 10 euros plus foreign charges. For deposits via credit/debit card, the fee is 1.5% plus foreign charges.
Withdrawal requests are usually processed by AAATrade within 24 hours, although the funds may take longer to reach your account depending on which withdrawal method you choose.
In line with anti-money laundering laws, funds withdrawn will be returned back to the same account that you made your deposit from, although you can contact AAATrade if this is not possible.
Withdrawals via credit/debit cards and e-payment methods do not attract a fee. However, those made via wire transfer cost 10 euros plus foreign charges (i.e the same as the cost of deposits using this method). Keep this in mind when choosing a deposit method as this will impact your cost of withdrawal.
AAATrade does offer a demo account, which is particularly helpful for novice traders who want to experiment before risking any of their own funds.
There is no limit to how long you can use your demo account and you can also request that AAATrade add additional funds if you wish to trial managing large portfolios.
Deals & Promotions
A regulatory crackdown on promotional and financial offers by the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC) has limited AAATrade’s options when it comes to offering marketing deals.
There are offers of a positive 0.25% yearly interest rate on free margin if your account balance exceeds 25,000 USD/EUR/GBP, as well as commission rebates if your balance exceeds a certain amount (25,000 USD/EUR/GBP for a 5% rebate, 100,000 USD/EUR/GBP for a 10% rebate).
Unfortunately, no sign-up bonuses are currently offered by AAATrade, in line with CySEC regulation.
AAATrade is well regulated. The firm is based in Cyprus and is therefore regulated by the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC). For UK clients, it is covered by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). And for German traders, the Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin) and the National Securities Market Commission (CNMV).
AAATrade Ltd is also a member of the Investor Compensation Fund (ICF) for the clients of Cyprus Investment Firms (CIFs) which protects retail clients up to 20,000 euros if the company was to default on its obligations.
However, crypto traders should be fully aware of the risks involved due to a lack of regulatory protection in this area. Investors in crypto are not entitled to any protection under the Investors’ Compensation Fund and have no rights to report to the Cypriot Financial Ombudsman in the event of a dispute.
- Trading calculators – For calculating trading profits across currency pairs
- Analysis – Provides market forecasts based on fundamental and technical analysis
- Portfolio management (AAATrade Discretionary Mandate) – AAATrade can manage your assets for you
- Advisory services – Offering advice and investment strategies on global markets for individuals, institutions and corporations
- AAATrade Academy (and other educational material) – Includes webinars and e-books
- Economic calendar and live market updates – News on upcoming and live events which may impact the price of assets and instruments
To open an account, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Register for a trading account using the ‘sign up’ button in the top right corner of their website
- Complete the Client Questionnaire
- Once completed, you will be able to invest limited funds and have access to AAATrade’s services for up to 14 days
- Verify your account by uploading Proof of Identity and Proof of Residence to continue accessing services beyond the 14 day ‘pending’ period
- Start trading with no limits on deposits
In addition to the demo account offered by AAATrade, there are three main account types:
As the name suggests, this account is more suitable for amateur traders looking for commission-free trading. Be aware that spreads may be higher on this account.
For basic services on the Novice account, there is no minimum deposit. However, advanced and premier versions are available.
A minimum deposit of 25,000 USD/EUR/GBP is required for advanced services, which include 1 on 1 training with technical analysts and a 0.25% positive interest rate. The minimum deposit increases to a sizeable 100,000 USD/EUR/GBP. Plus, you’ll receive a dedicated account manager.
Tight market spreads are available on the Experienced Account, although commission rates apply.
Advanced and premier services, like with the Novice Account, are also available with the same minimum deposits. The additional benefits, such as dedicated account managers and positive interest on margins also apply, including commission rebates on trades.
Over 50 crypto pairs are available, and no minimum deposit is required for basic services. Like with the Novice and Experienced Trading Accounts, advanced services (2,500 USD/EUR/GBP minimum deposit) and premier services (25,000 USD/EUR/GBP) are available to crypto enthusiasts. Premier services include a dedicated account manager and priority access to customer support.
In addition to accounts for retail investors, AAATrade facilitates institutional investors and also offers liquidity services to other brokers.
- Positive AAATrade.com user reviews
- Commission-free account available (Novice Account)
- No minimum deposit for basic services on the Novice and Experienced Accounts
- Good range of trading platforms, including the new AAATrader™ and MT5 mobile app
- Fees charged on deposits (apart from the internal transfer of funds)
- Crypto trading does not have the same protection or regulation as other types of trading
As with most brokers, trading hours depend on the specific market being traded.
Crypto markets are open 24/7, whereas CFD forex trading is 24/5 and the London Stock Exchange is open between 10:00-18:30 (GMT+2).
The customer support team are contactable through the following methods:
- Live chat – Contact can be made through their website (aaatrade.com)
- Email – email@example.com
- Phone – Dial +44 203 769 2245 (other local contact numbers available on the website)
- Request a call back by completing the ‘Contact Us’ form on the website
AAATrade also has a presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
AAATrade uses segregated EU and Swiss bank accounts to hold their clients’ fiat currency.
The broker uses high levels of encryption to protect customer information. Plus, AAATrade works with external IT security providers to ensure their systems are not compromised.
AAATrade has a large product offering, giving traders of all types and abilities the opportunity to invest in the financial markets. Its commission-free account may appeal to more amateur traders, though it does have a fairly complicated fee structure. Fortunately, the variety of trading platforms used by AAATrade (including MT5) provide good options for a range of traders.
AAATrade accepts traders from Australia, Thailand, Canada, United Kingdom, South Africa, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Italy, Denmark, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Qatar and most other countries.
Traders can not use AAATrade from United States, American Samoa, Anguilla, Barbados, Fiji, Guam, Palau, Panama, Samoa, Seychelles, Trinidad And Tobago, Vanuatu, Virgin Islands, U.S., Albania, Bahamas, Botswana, Cambodia, Ghana, Jamaica, Mauritius, Myanmar, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Uganda, Syria, Yemen, Zimbabwe, Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Mongolia.
Alternatives to AAATrade
If you are looking for alternatives to AAATrade we have compiled a list of the top 5 brokers that are similar to AAATrade below. This list of brokers like AAATrade is in order of similarity and only includes companies that accept traders from your location.
- eToro – eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptoassets, as well as trading CFDs.
- Exinity – Exinity provides flexible low-cost trading in FX, commodities, indices and equities alongside unique education and support provided by teams located across the world. Now operating in the Middle East, through regulation from the Financial Services Regulatory Authority in Abu Dhabi and the Financial Services Commission of Mauritius, Exinity provides a range of services to traders and investors looking for new opportunities in the financial markets.
- Rockfort Markets – Rockfort Markets is a New Zealand broker with a competitive range of assets, trading platforms and market conditions.
- EagleFX – EagleFX is a popular trading broker offering forex, stocks, cryptos & commodities.
- ZuluTrade – Zulutrade provide multiple automation and copy trading options across forex, indices, stocks, cryptocurrency and commodities markets
Is AAATrade Regulated?
Yes, AAATrade is regulated by the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC), the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and other regulators within the EU. However, its crypto services are not afforded the same protection.
Does AAATrade Charge Deposit Fees?
Yes, AAATrade charges fees for all deposit methods except for an internal transfer of funds. This includes debit and credit card deposits, though this particular method is not charged for withdrawals.
Does AAATrade Require A Minimum Deposit?
There is no minimum deposit to access basic services for the Novice, Experienced and CryptoExchange accounts. However, advanced and premier services require minimum deposits of 25,000 and 100,000 units of the base currency respectively.
Does AAATradde Allow Mobile Trading?
Yes, AAATrade provides the MT5 trading platform which has a mobile/tablet app with the same features as MT5 Webtrader. The broker is also developing its own mobile app to build on the new AAATrader™ desktop platform.
Does AAATrade Offer A Demo Account?
Yes, AAATrade offers a demo account so you can experiment with the products and services offered before using your own funds.
|AAATrade offers CFDs, securities and cryptocurrency trading on proprietary and MetaTrader platforms.|
AAATrade vs Other Brokers
Compare AAATrade with any other broker by selecting the other broker below.